by gillian claire: kindergarten, first day.

9.07.2013

kindergarten, first day.

firstdaydipIMG_4737-3IMG_4738-3
we just finished our first week of homeschool at our house!
this is roman's third year of homeschooling. i did two years of preschool with him at home and now to my amazement, he has somehow gone and become a wonderful, happy, round-faced kindergartener! we always wait until after labor day to start school, which i love because i'm not even ready to consider the thought of summer ending until at least september!
.
we have started off the first day of school the same each of these three years. i have roman color a sign  and take a first day of school pictures. of course, we always include asher who has so far completed "baby school" and two years of "toddler school" ;)
.
i also have roman draw a self-portrait and write his name. then i trace his hand and i have done the same first day of school interview with him all three years. it has been so fun to compare each year and see how he has grown and changed!
.
it's very strange to feel the years passing by through this ritual. i still remember so clearly roman's first day of preschool at 3, when asher was still a tiny newborn in his little white jammies sucking away on his paci while we made play-doh.
.
it has been such a blessing to stay home and be with my boys everyday and to teach them and care for them. it has definitely not always been easy especially with our wild spirited child by our side constantly trying to undo any and all school progress.
but it is indeed a blessing, to see my little roman's face light up on the first day of kindergarten with the most genuine smile in the world.
peeking out of the covers saying, "is it school day mommy??"
and to know that i don't have to pack him up and ship him off, just yet.
these boys are my heart and i feel so happy and blessed to be able to have them home with me. ;)
.
i went back and found our first day of school photos from last year to compare. and here are some photos from where we were this time 2 years ago!
.
preschooldipIMG_9467

5 comments:

  1. Aww so cute! Good luck with the rest of the year!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Love that you do the same thing every first day. Those first two pics of them holding their signs are ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job schooling them momma! Love that you have this ritual. Someday i'll have to check back for 10 years of pictures all side by side! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a difference two years can make! I have been debating with myself what I'm going to do when my son is ready for school. About 60% of my heart wants me to home school - keep him with me, teach him at his pace... but the other 40% worries about him missing out on the social aspect and the athletic opportunities and, to be perfectly honest, me getting some time for me (I still have a college degree to finish!) How did you make the decision? Why? You seem glad you did it... Will you home school him all the way? Or send him to public school at some point? Would love to hear your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this is so sweeeet! I still haven't organized my brain enough to start any formal schooling with either of the boys. All you moms out there who post baby homeschooling pictures make me feel a little lax. :P I need to get my hands on some good homeschooling books and try to figure out a plan of attack.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I'd love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...